San Diego, CA—The World Photography Organization (WPO) revealed the 2023 National Awards winners for the Sony World Photography Awards.
The National Awards program is an initiative of the WPO and Sony that supports local photographic communities worldwide. Now in its 16th year, the free-to-enter awards are a global voice for photography, providing insight into contemporary photography. For established as well as emerging artists, the awards offer world-class opportunities for exposure of their work.
Moreover, 55 countries took part this year. In addition, more than 415,000 images from 200+ countries and territories were submitted to the Sony World Photography Awards 2023. Further, some 200,000 were entered in the Open competition, from which juries selected the National Awards winners.
New to this year’s awards were four Regional Awards set up by the WPO and Sony Europe. The new awards spotlight the breadth of photographic talent from a range of countries across Europe.
They are divided into four categories: the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, the Romania & Moldova Regional Award; the Latvia, Estonia & Lithuania Regional Award; the Croatia, Slovenia, Serbia, Montenegro, Kosovo, Bosnia Herzegovina Regional Award; and the Cyprus, Greece, Bulgaria & North Macedonia Regional Award.
All National Awards winners receive Sony digital imaging equipment and are included in the Sony World Photography Awards exhibition and book.
Further, the WPO will announce the overall winners in the Student, Youth, Open as well as Professional competitions of the Sony World Photography Awards 2023 on April 13. They will also go on display as part of the exhibition at Somerset House, London, April 14–May 1, 2023.
USA National Awards Winner
Additionally, the WPO and Sony United States named Angela Perez as the United States National Awards winner for the Sony World Photography Awards 2023.
The judges selected Angela Perez for her photograph Imperfect, which she entered in the Portraiture category of the Open competition. The image depicts a young man staring directly at the camera in a black-and-white portrait. It eschews color and background distractions to focus on the central figure.
Perez uses photography to tell stories and empower those who are overlooked by society. As a self-taught photographer with a focus on editorial portraiture, she has taken her passion and turned it into a successful career. Moreover, she has earned numerous awards for her work, and she loves to share her knowledge and experience with others.
“Winning at the Sony World Photography Awards is an incredible honor. It’s a feeling that is hard to describe. It’s a combination of immense pride, joy and excitement,” commenting Perez. “It feels like a huge accomplishment and recognition of my hard work and dedication. Being chosen as a winner of the prestigious awards is a great honor, and it’s a moment that will remain with me forever.”
As the United States National Award winner, Angela Perez receives Sony digital imaging equipment and the WPO will include her work in the Sony World Photography Awards exhibition and book.
2023 National Awards Winners
Following are the 2023 National Awards first-place winners in the Sony World Photography Awards.
- Austria: Fabian Jung
- Bangladesh: Protap Shekhor Mohanto
- Cambodia: Chan Sithy Heng
- Egypt: Abdelrahman Gabr
- France: Samia Berbiche
- Germany: Andreas Mikonauschke
- India: Pradeep Kodimana Ramakrishnan
- Indonesia: Mawaruddin Mawaruddin
- Japan: Hajime Hirano
- Republic of Korea: Gyu Seob Shim
- Malaysia: Eng Tong Tan
- Myanmar: Si Thu Ye Myint
- Nepal: Rabik Upadhayay
- Nigeria: Nukabari Opuama
- Pakistan: Yawar Abbas
- Philippines: Donell Gumiran
- Poland: Mateusz Żurowski
- Qatar: Abdulla AL-Mushaifri
- Saudi Arabia: Mansoor Mohsen
- Singapore: Huazheng Hong
- South Africa: Tshabalala Bongani
- Sri Lanka: Rajeev Abeysekara
- Switzerland: Sandra Handschin
- Taiwan: Leo Huang
- Thailand: Saravut Vanset
- Turkey: Erhan Coral
- United Arab Emirates: Oday Shanshal
- United States: Angela Perez
- Vietnam: Thiện Nguyễn Ngọc
Furthermore, for a complete list of the 2023 Regional Awards winners, visit www.worldphoto.org.
Sony Outstanding Contribution to Photography Award
The Sony World Photography Awards additionally recognize the most influential artists working in the medium. The WPO honors them through the Outstanding Contribution to Photography Award. The renowned Japanese photographer Rinko Kawauchi is the 2023 recipient of this award.
Kawauchi joins a distinguished list of iconic names, including Martin Parr, William Eggleston, Candida Hofer, Nadav Kander, Gerhard Steidl, Edward Burtynsky as well as Graciela Iturbide.
Image Credits – Grid (from top row, left to right):
- © Milda Vyšniauskaitė, Lithuania, Winner, Regional Awards, Sony World Photography Awards 2023
- © Protap Shekhor Mohanto, Bangladesh, Winner, National Awards, Sony World Photography Awards 2023
- © Cristina Bazar, Romania, Winner, Regional Awards, Sony World Photography Awards 2023
- © Takahiro Toh, Japan, 3rd Place, National Awards, Sony World Photography Awards 2023
- © Kyujin Jeong, Korea, Republic Of, 2nd Place, National Awards, Sony World Photography Awards 2023
- © Pável Vélez, Mexico, 1st Place, Latin America National Awards, Sony World Photography Awards 2023
- © Reynaldo San Martín, Bolivia, Shortlist, Latin America National Awards, Sony World Photography Awards 2023
- © Manuel Rodríguez, Costa Rica, Shortlist, Latin America National Awards, Sony World Photography Awards 2023
- © Roberto Pavić, Croatia, Winner, Regional Awards , Sony World Photography Awards 2023
- © Angela Perez, United States, Winner, National Awards, Sony World Photography Awards 2023