Los Angeles, CA—DJI unveiled the latest addition to its Osmo series—the Osmo Mobile 3 portable, foldable mobile phone video stabilizer. Building on DJI’s expertise in creating gimbals for both aerial and ground purposes, the Osmo Mobile 3 is the most travel-friendly Osmo Mobile to date.
Moreover, the compact device helps phoneographers capture steady video footage and content using intelligent features programmed into the latest version of
the DJI Mimo app. DJI also sought to deliver an intuitive design with simplified operation and adjustments.
“When we began designing Osmo Mobile 3, we went back to the drawing board with thegoal of creating a portable yet intuitive product that uses the latest DJI technology,” said Paul Pan, senior product manager, DJI. “We are excited to introduce DJI’s first gimbal with a folding design. We hope it inspires our customers to imagine new ways of recording content with their mobile phones.”
DJI Osmo Mobile 3: An Everyday Stabilizer
Users can always be prepared to capture high-quality photos and videos with the new device, thanks to its portable, folding design. The ultracompact mobile phone stabilizer reimagines the Osmo Mobile concept with a complete redesign. It incorporates locking mechanisms to ensure effortless transportation when on the go. In addition, it provides 15 hours of battery life.
Moreover, the new design features vital controls that are manageable with one hand. Via buttons on the handle, users can control the gimbal’s movement and access useful features. For example, the quick roll function rotates the orientation from portrait to landscape by pressing the mode (M) button twice without having to remove the mobile device.
Additionally, the redesigned form no longer obstructs the charging and audio ports. As a result, it permits easy connection to charge the device or use external mics. Also, a trigger helps maneuver the gimbal by locking orientation, rotating the gimbal for selfies and recentering when tracking a subject.
Furthermore, by using ActiveTrack, users can tap the trigger once and the stabilizer tracks while keeping the subject centered within the frame.
Another feature is the ability to zoom in and out with a dedicated zoom slider on the side of the stabilizer; users do not need to touch the screen of the mobile device. There is also an option to customize zoom speed based on personal preference.
The stabilizer uses the DJI Mimo app to offer creative preprogrammed modes. It connects to the device with Bluetooth 5.0 so users can take advantage of the following features:
- Story Mode: This feature brings creative editing to videos with preset music, video transitions and also filters. Users can choose one of 13 templates and Mimo will handle the camera movement. After shooting, the app automatically generates an edited short video, ready to be shared.
- Gesture Control. Users can snap a selfie without pressing any buttons. Once gesture control is enabled, users show a peace sign and Osmo Mobile 3 begins a photo timer countdown.
- Sport Mode: Similar to features in the DJI Ronin series, sport mode increases the response speed of the device to keep up when shooting fast-moving scenes.
- ActiveTrack 3.0: DJI’s image recognition and deep learning algorithms enable the Osmo Mobile 3 to recognize and follow subjects of choice.
- Timelapse & Motionlapse: Timelapse captures unique content with the effect of the world moving faster around the shooter; Motionlapse adds the dynamic element of movement to Timelapse by setting points for the camera to move to.
- HyperLapse: This function takes the visuals from Timelapse and adds movement by manually moving the Osmo Mobile 3 with the shooter. In addition, HyperLapse supports real-time electronic image stabilization (EIS) and ActiveTrack 3.0.
- Panorama: Users get a wider perspective with panorama mode. Moreover, they can choose between 3×3 and 180° panorama modes.
- Slow Motion: This function lets shooters slow down the world with 4x or 8x slow motion.
The DJI Osmo Mobile 3 is available in two packages. The standard version includes the Osmo Mobile 3, a wrist strap, a storage pouch and anti-slip pads for $119. The Osmo Mobile 3 combo bundlesl the components of the standard version with the Osmo Grip tripod and carrying case. It retails for $139. Moreover, it is covered under the Osmo Shield service for an extra fee of $10.